After centuries of abandonment and ruin, the Ducal Palace of the Bragança underwent large restoration works during the second quarter of the 20th century (1939-1952). In the 1950’s, when the end of these upgrading works was near, the function to be given to the Palace after its reconstruction was finally outlined: Official Residence of the Portuguese President in the North side of the Country.
It was required to provide the Palace with comfort to property lodge Chiefs of State, namely for the reception of the Brazilian President, Café Filho, in 1955. A commission was, therefore, constituted and named: the “Furniture Commission”. This commission sought to recreate the environment of a Ducal Palace, with works of art from other national palaces and museums, as well as national and foreign antiquarians.
Medieval furniture would not be resorted to as, besides its rarity, it had a high cost. In this way, the collections that make up the estate of the Museum and Presidential Wing, which would occupy the entire 1st floor of the Ducal in Guimarães, are rather varied: paintings on wood and canvas, sculpture in limestone and wood, gilt carving, ceramics (earthenware, faience and porcelain), Portuguese and Flemish furniture, tapestries (Pastrana collection, of Aubusson and Flemish).
Besides its collection, the Ducal Palace has a set of very interesting chestnut wood ceilings, in the Banqueting Hall, Chapel and Great; and in the Antechamber and in the Bedchamber there are ceiling depicting floral motifs and hunting and everyday life scenes.